Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Synthesis Blog #5: “Content-area Book Clubs” (SM: ch. 9)

I have trouble remembering how my classroom was “differentiated”, because it was just how the “good” classrooms were run. All I remember, is that it was a classroom that I liked. However, I can distinctly remember the classes I did not like, the lecture classes, the classes that did the same thing every single day. Book clubs were almost religiously used in my social studies classes. It is easy to find a good nonfiction book pertaining to most of the historical topics covered in middle school. There is also a plethora of non-fiction books ready for students to read. However, an idea that I have never thought of is to use a book club for a science class. I think it could be very useful to use a middle grades level science. There are plenty of concepts that could use an extra reinforcement of the science topic being presented. I still struggle to see how a math book club would be conducted but am excited to see where it could go. Book club gives students the freedom and responsibility to learn the importance of the work they are doing. I feel that book clubs, if done correctly, can turn from tedious to exciting for students.

WC:205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Synthesis Blog

After this class, it almost seems like common sense to teach literacy in every classroom. If you have to read to teach the material, how do...